Observation

27.10.17

Today I planed a day trip to different places in London observing how people behave in public area. I understand that if the public space is big enough to let people choose where they participate themselves into the environment, they would keep the distance between the strangers as much as they can. This action just like there is an invisible wall divided them.

After the research, I obtained a theory. The reason why people will keep the distances between strangers is based on the insecure environmental factor, they do not know each other and what is the background of this stranger. People protect themselves when they expose in a ‘unknown’ area with unknown people.

Then, I was thinking if the person feels offensive by the fact that someone enter their ‘personal space’, is this psychological state established based on a passive action by stranger. If so, in the other words if the stranger did not enter the ‘personal space’ claimed by the subject, is that mean this psychological state of being offensive will not be established. I then interested in the psychological state changes when the subject being alone in their ‘personal space’. How would that influence their actions, appearance, emotions and psychological quality.

Next week, I will be visiting Ladbroke Grove, I will be observing how people behave when they are alone.

Published by

Pakting Ma

Hi, I am studying BA Interior and Spatial design in Chelsea college of Arts.