Royal Academy of Arts – Jasper Johns and Dali

17.11.17

”In my early work, I tried to hide my personality, my psychological state, my emotions. This was partly due to my feelings about myself and party due to my feelings about painting at the time. I sort of stuck to my guns for a while but eventually it seemed like a losing battle. Finally one must simply drop the reserve.” – Jasper Johns

As I begin to experiment different format of media to record my interviewee’s emotion and psychological state, I have begin to realized the importance of one’s drawing, handwritings and body language. Jasper Johns and Salvador Dalí are well known as painter and their creativity.

Image 4: Jasper Johns (1985)

The art work above is created by Jasper Johns, I understand it as a collection of memories in four seasons. Emotions can easily tell from the location, color and light and shadow of the human body. Human body in the left and right painting are different compare with the other two in the middle, they are conceal with rain and snow and the color tone of the drawing are slightly darker as well. To me, it show a sense of blue and ‘wish to not been seen’ like atmosphere.

”What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.” – Salvador Dalí

YouTube Preview Image
Video: Eric Randall (2011)

This work is created by a surrealist artist – Salvador Dali who was highly imaginative. In the video, stories were told to some kind of commentators by a man who lay down on a chair. It was a dream, an unrealistic dream. The work present as a interview-like scene combine with few sight of ‘the dream’. I am inspire by it, I believe by editing video I am able to present people’s deep thought on screen.

Published by

Pakting Ma

Hi, I am studying BA Interior and Spatial design in Chelsea college of Arts.